Re: gnuconfig and runtime 1.9/ARC issue

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: gnuconfig and runtime 1.9/ARC issue
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 09:46:05 +0200

Hello everyone,

Am 06.05.19 um 14:39 schrieb Johannes Brakensiek:
> thank you very much for your help. I succeeded building 1.9 with that
> hint. Only Gorm and ProjectBuilder still do not work/start.
> SystemPreferences.app works though.
>
> I’m now trying to compile a 2.0 runtime. Currently I’m stuck at
> building base, because libobjc could not be found (it is there of
> course). Maybe my system is somewhat mixed up after so many compiles,
> I will follow the hints Andreas gave and see if I get any further.

now I succeeded to successfully compile the 2.0 runtime as documented by
this script:
https://github.com/Letterus/gnustep-build/blob/master/debian-9-clang-8.0-runtime-2.0/GNUstep-buildon-debian.sh

It is based on the instructions Andreas sent on this list. But it seems
it still did not compile correctly. ProjectCenter will complain about
ivars on startup (Gorm runs though):

/usr/GNUstep/Local/Applications/ProjectCenter.app/ProjectCenter: symbol
lookup error:
/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries/libProjectCenter.so.0: undefined
symbol: __objc_ivar_offset_NSView._tracking_rects.<some unreadable
unicode stuff>

When I make tests on libobjc2 all 166 tests pass. When I run make check
on GNUstep base it complains about libdispatch not beeing there. So I
added "-ldispatch" to linker flags for the build of libobjc. That
compiles successfully, but when I try to build base with the same flags
I get this linker error:

/usr/bin/ld.gold: fatal error: cannot mix -r with dynamic object
/usr/local/lib/libdispatch.so
clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)

So, as I don't have a clue about this compiler and linker stuff, I'm
somewhat puzzled on how to get this right. Do you have any hints for me?

Thank you,
Johannes