Re: FreeBSD ports for GDL2 and GSWeb

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: FreeBSD ports for GDL2 and GSWeb
Date: Mon, 27 May 2019 12:45:43 +0100

> On 27 May 2019, at 12:07, Edwin Ancaer <eancaer@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> the linker problem is solved as was described by David. But as my knowledge
> of FreeBSD / Unix is limited, every new problem is taking lots of time to
> investigate.
>
> The one haunting me now is the fact that I have to run the poudriere command
> to test my port for renaissance as root  and that for root,

I think the 'proper' fix is to correct that so that it doesn't run as root, but
runs as your normal account (since it's generally a bad idea to do things as
root).
However, since I don't know your particular system setup, I'll assume that you
have to be running as root and gnustep isn't set up for root:

> the GNUStep environment is not defined.
>
> The GNUmakefile of libs-renaissance contains a test on the existence of a
> variable named GNUSTEP-MAKEFILES:

So, you simply need to define the environment variable to contain the name of
the correct directory.
If you don't know/can't remember where you installed gnustep. the simplest way
to find the name of the directory is to log in as the account for which you
installed it, and run

gnustep-config --variable=GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES

I suppose that might not work (if you didn't install the software at all, and
gnustep-config can't be found).  In which case you need to find where you
installed things some other way.
eg.
 find / -name GNUstep.conf -print

Then look in that file to see what GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES is configured to.