Re: GNUstep Discord Server

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: GNUstep Discord Server
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 19:24:03 +0000

IRC works well enough. Let's stick to IRC for realtime chat. I often
idle in #gnustep on freenode. Not too much dev activity or idling in
there.

Beyond that... some members of this community have experience using
XMPP, and I think most would be extremely unlikely to use voice calls
(good voice/video being a major attraction for using Discord). If
there's interest for VVoIP, I could put effort into getting Jitsi to
run, given it's a decent WebRTC FLOSS solution. (Jitsi regularly have
some dev presence at FOSDEM.)

If we want to have an XMPP server for gnustep.org, I have experience
with running an XMPP server. But, because TLS is pretty much mandatory
for XMPP these days, I would be uncomfortable actually running
gnustep.org service on my machine, as it would require that I obtain
the TLS certs for gnustep.org (which I don't feel too comfortable
holding, and it would involve ~yearly money, or manual steps +
DNS/website access: https://certbot.eff.org/docs/using.html#manual).

XMPP has benefits like multi-user-chat having chat history. There's
image upload support, too, and the ability to connect with more than
one client into one chatroom with the same nickname.

But it's likely not worth it. So I'd say just use IRC.