Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 23:28:36 +0000

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 5:26 PM Jordan Schidlowsky <jordan@noodlecake.com> wrote:
> Is this not the strongest argument to deprecate GCC, and just build on Clang/LLVM?  If feature parity with Apple's API is the goal, isn't this kind of a requirement at this point?
>
> There's other rather large projects moving purely to a llvm toolchain (android ndk), so it wouldn't be totally unheard of.  They've deprecated gcc and are removing it entirely in a future release.

Multiple compilers is still a good thing (even if one of them is worse than the others).

GCC users can accept that not all applications will be compatible, if we can't implement APIs that depend on the "new" features.

But perhaps dropping GCC fully is too drastic.

I have a similar opinion about some GUI backends; they're not very useful, but guide gnustep-gui and gnustep-back APIs to be more flexible and don't depend on just e.g. Cairo.