Re: Package building

From: cobjective
Subject: Re: Package building
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 02:48:27 +0200

On 19 Nov 2019, at 11:40, Johannes Brakensiek <johannes@brakensiek.info> wrote:

> Hi Sergii,
>
> thank you for your reply!
>
> On 19 Nov 2019, at 0:39, Sergii Stoian wrote:
>
>> Frankly speaking I don’t like themes idea almost totally. It’s hard to
>> achieve desired look and feel with themes without coding (overriding some
>> class methods). Plus themes support bloats the GNUstep codebase.
>
> I’m not into the details of the theming implementation, but to me it looks a
> GNUstep based DE would be far from being bloated compared to other current
> DEs. ;)

I hope. ;)

>> I understand that the initial idea was to attract more users/developers,
>> but… It’s not working.
>
> Hm, yes. I think developers don’t need a nice UI at first place (and I think
> most of what developers need luckily is already provided by Apple as of
> today). But developers need happy users (if you’re not developing only for
> yourself) and I think happy users need a stable, solid and consistent UX.
> That would be provided by a NextStep based UI guideline. But they also need a
> pretty UI (which is not what you’d call that NextStep look nowadays, imho).

My initial idea was to make my dream come true - have NeXTSTEP for my own use:
fast, reliable and consistent.
I would be glad if other people share my taste. If you like macOS/KDE/GNOME -
why should you use GNUstep-based DE?

>> So, I want to make ideal NEXTSTEP interface first. Who knows maybe some day
>> I’ll want to change it to macOS-like… ;)
>
> I think: Do it (some days earlier). From a users perspective my heart was
> filled with joy and happiness when I saw what Bertrand had compiled here:
> https://github.com/BertrandDekoninck/rik.theme/blob/master/newscreen.png ;)
>

> If we’d have some more screenshots of well crafted software looking like
> this, it would be a huge benefit regarding the public impression of GNUstep.
> It doesn’t need to be macOS, but to have a free DE that’s getting close
> regarding UX/UI would be a thing I’d really like to see and work with.
> (Especially since Apple is currently driving the development of macOS to a
> state where I won’t want to use it anymore…)

Great - it’s your choice. Just do it. ;)

>> Etoile is great effort to create macOS-like DE with great fundamental
>> frameworks inside. I wish to borrow some  of them someday… But its
>> development stopped AFAIK.
>
> Yes, sadly. Merge it, use it. Once I come to start writing a serious app I’ll
> give CoreObject a try and see how it works. ;)
>
> Keep up your good work
Thank you. I’ll do all my best.
> Johannes

Sergii