Re: Package building

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Package building
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 17:47:28 +0100

Hi Bertrand,

Bertrand Dekoninck wrote:
I’m happy to see how such a sensitive topic (compilers…)  does progress these
days. And I’d really be very happy if the gnustep runtime could run on ppc
(both 32 and 64).

Last time I tried (on debian 8 ppc32, 1 year ago or even more ?) it failed, and
I was alone with my questions. The problem was not only the assembly bits (as
David said, there is a slower alternative) but some problem with clang (I don’t
remember…). I’d be happy to help here and test again. I can’t code any
assembly, but I can test on PPC32 and PPC64. I fear I need to install debian
sid on  my machines, which is a pain for now. I know you (Ricardo) did install
it on a powerbook. Can we have a decent X11 session there, and a decent
compiler ? If we can build libobjc on this system, then it’ll be assembly
coding time.

Which is the oldest version of Clang mandatory to build the gnustep runtime
(1.9 and 2.0) ? Do we need a specific linker ? I would like to avoid clang’s
build and use the distro’s one.

I have progress here, since in the past year I spent again quite some time on PPC, given my affiliation with the Power Progress Community ("PPC" :-) )
- G3 iBook Clamshell (yaboot)
- G4 iBook (yaboot)
- G4 PowerBook (GRUB)

I use GCC only and the GCC runtime there. I did not even attempt something else. I am experimenting with gcc 6.5 (which is now not present in latest Debian versions, I keep the old .deb ) as well testing gcc7 and gcc8. I use cairo as backend on all of them.

The only big annoyance is the breakage of the bootloader (yaboot being obsolescent, but works well on my iBook) and GRUB of which the installation is broken and needs to be manually tweaked in a painful way, but then works on several macs (more modern ones). Alsop the wireless setup needs some manual work, but can be done (old packages need to be retrieved, no longer available)

GNUstep works very well with GCC on PPC hardware currently. I don't noticed any "bugs" differing from a comparable x86 or amd64 setup! Our code is still quite good in this regard. Other applications suck more (tm).

I have a working setup with working X11. Both iBook work nicely in this regard. The PowerBook instead has a strange mouse issue, but with an external mouse it works.

GWorkspace, GNUMail, PRICE.. LaternaMagica.. everything works decently. I use WindowMaker.

For Browser, on "powerful" enough machines, you can use ArcticFox! But there are currently no available packages for it. And it is off-topic for the GNUstep world.

Riccardo