Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?

From: Maxthon Chan
Subject: Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 23:49:35 +0800

AppKit on CoreAnimation can be our first big piece of fully ARC code. I don’t think anything in AppKit would require special memory handling, so it should be able to be fully ARC'd. Just by enabling ARC and @properties we get a lot of potential bugs out of the system.

Actually if UIKit is in the plans, before working on AppKit I would suggest working on SwiftUI first (at least a Objective-C based subset of it that can result in the correct Swift interface when we get Swift interworking) and build AppKit and UIKit on top of that. (This is like Apple using CoreFoundation as a common denominator between Carbon and Foundation, I am suggesting using a partial SwiftUI as the common denominator between AppKit and UIKit.)

Also if we get that improved C++ support, we can start working on a better IDE and build system that is comparable to Xcode. Modern Xcode uses libclang and libllvm for code highlighting and code sensing, so that is why Objective-C++ is needed, and it is also a huge piece of ARC code (Apple made a point when they converted Xcode from GC to ARC in Xcode 5.) As of our replacement xcode-build and IDEKit (the library parsing xcodeproj bundles) that can also be a huge piece of ARC code.

And there is Swift interworking since I mentioned SwiftUI, which requires clang.