Re: libobjc2 build issue

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: libobjc2 build issue
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 10:01:08 +0100

On 27 Nov 2019, at 9:37, Fred Kiefer wrote:

Thank you for updating this instruction file. Is there a link to this in the GNUstep wiki? I understand that we should make it as easy as possible for new (and experienced) programmers to grab the correct instructions the first time. For me this reoccurring build issues are one of the reasons why I do not use clang and the new runtime. They both develop too fast for me. It is quite normal that things change and from time to time they are even broken. If I remember correctly most of the questions on the development mailing list in recent years where caused by this. I prefer to spend my little time on GNUstep itself and not on fixing the build infrastructure. (Resulting in a less than optimal GNUstep environment for me.) What we need to do is minimise the pain for people who choose the other way.

Yep, I agree. That’s why we are working on these scripts and on CI tools to make sure they work (at least as long as we are able to maintain these scripts). On midterm we’d like to have continuously updated (Ubuntu) packages to make it even easier. Patryk already worked closer to that goal as he managed to build a big install .deb.

The textual instructions from Andreas Fink are published here:
http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Building_GNUstep_under_Debian_FreeBSD

The script repo is linked multiple times, f.e. here:
http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Platform:Linux#Install_from_source

Johannes