Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2019 11:56:30 +0100

Gregory,

I’m leaving out your replies as it seems you did not get me right. First I was trying to strengthen your approach by reflecting the public opinion about GNUstep as far as I recognized it. Of course it is not fully true and of course I did not write and speak with everyone or did scientific research.

Second I was proposing a compromise of keeping base compatible to GCC and only update AppKit to the new runtime. But as you already wrote this does not seem to be sufficient.

If there are bigger free software projects using AppKit I’d be interested to know, btw.

The proposal of forking GNUstep and running two forks seems too much work to me and probably you won’t be able to port back what you’ve achieved using clang. So to me it seems you just have to decide if you start doing GNUstep 2.0 (breaking compatibility for new features, but keeping compatibility for older features of course - using clang you can compile everything you can with gcc, don’t you?). I don’t see a way of a compromise or middle ground.

Johannes