Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2019 15:54:27 +0100

> Am 26.11.2019 um 15:15 schrieb Andreas Fink <afink@list.fink.org>:
>

>> On 26 Nov 2019, at 15:06, H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Am 26.11.2019 um 11:09 schrieb Pirmin Braun <pb@busw.de>:
>>>
>>> I'd suggest a fork, i.e. "Gnustep2" with LLVM, Clang, libobjc2
>>
>> just came to my mind: ClangSTEP?
>

> what a tong breaker. FreeStep sounds better to me :)
> Drop the "GNU" and break free.

Hm.

I do not understand the rationale: why do you want to break free from GNU?

I only understand the whole discussion as: some of us want to break free
from GCC which is "GNU Compiler Collection" and replace it by Clang for
technical reasons (more modern features, easier maintenance). Not for
freedom reasons.

GNU is already fully Free Software and GNUstep is as well.

So "FreeStep" directs in the wrong direction, IMHO.

All that is indeed only relevant, if it is really wise to fork into two
sister projects. Which I heavily doubt. It is probably easier to handle
two GNUstep flavors under a single umbrella. Or as what I am advocating
for is to continue to support both compiler suites in a single project.