Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2019 16:42:10 +0100

Hi Ivan,

Ivan Vučica wrote:
Now, I see what David says about use of C++ in implementation of Foundation... but I’d expect that putting C++ would bring the compilation times up for everyone. Not a showstopper, but there’s something cool about all of GNUstep being buildable really quickly (configure steps usually taking longer than the build of the project itself).

I sincerely would prefer not to pull C++ in. It is not just a matter of "speed" but also of trouble. As well as of sheer "installed size". The C++ part is the most troublesome and unportable. in GCC for example, using it on different platforms, it is most often easy to upgrade C and Obj-C to a newer version, but it is always C++ giving issues, both with headers as well as link time.

I am very proud that you can build ALL GNUstep parts I use except one single component without C++, it is very easy on certain installation and the choice I did on Raspberry, for example (even if there C++ works). The only component which needs C++ currently is PDFKit because of xpdf. Obj-C++ is not needed because of a wrapper.

Riccardo