Touch panel keyboard in GNUstep app

From: Andreas Höschler
Subject: Touch panel keyboard in GNUstep app
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 17:56:10 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

I am just trying to add a touch panel keyboard feature to some GNUstep app,
meaning that I have added a bunch of NSButtons with titles "A", "B", "C",... to
the GUI of my app. My plan is to generate and send some key-event whenever a
user clicks (actually presses with his finger on a touch screen) on one of the
on-screen keyboard buttons.

However, for this to work I need to make sure that the keyboard buttons never
get first responder but that e.g. an NSTextField in the GUI (first responder
before clicking on a key button) stays first responder and receives the
programmatically generated key-event.

I have run

        [button setRefusesFirstResponder:YES];

on the keyboard buttons but this did not do the trick. The NSTextField that is
first responder before clicking on one of the key board buttons resigns first
responder before the action of the button is executed. :-(

Any idea how to correctly set this up?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Best,

   Andreas