Re: LuserNET Preferences setting

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: LuserNET Preferences setting
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2020 18:12:09 +0200

Hi Patrick,

Patrick Cardona wrote:

> I would like to browse the list archive within LuserNET, because I
> think it would be lighter than within a Web browser.
>
> I tried to configure LuserNET :
> - host: gnu.gnustep
> - group name : discuss
> - port : 119 | 563 | 443
>
> Tried also to prepend or not : news: either news:// prefix protocol
> before the hostname...
>
> But #l told Me that the request failed at every attempt.
>
> Is anyone knowing the right way to configure LuserNet to read the
> archived list

You need a "news server"... gnu.gnustep cannot be a valid news server.
Maybe your provider has one, that would be best. Mine stopped providing
that service.

Else, there remain a few "free" ones...

Then you need to add the group directly "gnu.gnustep.discuss", add the
last message available since probably your server will have only the
"last ones".

Then add, updae.. and voiĆ . I see e.g. gnu.discuss.org is there.
The newsgroup is actually done through a Mail-gateway of the
MailingList, so the Threads sometimes contain spurious messages or
threads break...

I looked at this months ago and LuserNET was doing the legitimate thing
(you can use latest Pantomime Release and latest LuserNET for best
results....) patches accepted of course!

I just tried... an found out I cannot post/reply correctly...
unfortunate. I'll see if i can debug that, but patches and help
welcome... I really maintained only very little since "saving" it in GAP.
I kept it up-to-date with latest pantomime changes and fixed some gross
"bit rotting", but apparently some more stuff crept in.

Riccardo