Re: Trying to build GNUstep from git repo and clang-9 on Raspbian Buster

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: Trying to build GNUstep from git repo and clang-9 on Raspbian Buster (10.4)
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2020 12:05:16 +0200

Thank you for your reply, David.

On 18 Jun 2020, at 10:46, David Chisnall wrote:

If you want to build libobjc2 on armhf you will have to use the older version 1.9 of libobjc (which does not require clang >= 8, but works with older versions of clang as well).

The v2 and v1 ABIs do not use different assembly fast paths.

This is always a little bit confusing to me. Version 2.0 of libobjc2 supports v2 and v1 ABI, ok. But compiling only worked using the version 1.9 of libobjc2 (meaning the git tag/version, not the ABI version). Does that sound correct to you?

Also, it would be very nice if anybody would like to do the missing libobjc2 assembler implementation for armhf. I think this is a common use case as long as the default arch for Raspbian is 32 bit. Even though this arch will be running out of support at some time in the future, of course.

I did. Five years ago. Note that there was a bug until 15 months ago where the unwind info was not correctly set, so throwing an exception out of +initialize would potentially corrupt some floating point state.

That’s very good to read, thank you! Probably I read some outdated documentation or was just using the 1.9 tag because Raspbian only had clang 7 available then. I will try again with 2.0 and clang 8 and report if I ran into the same issue as Patrick.

Johannes