Re: Help building GNUstep from scratch

From: Patryk Laurent
Subject: Re: Help building GNUstep from scratch
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 20:29:22 -0700

Hi Michael,

On Jul 14, 2020, at 19:13, Michael Lastname <sparklytarnish@hotmail.com> wrote:

Firstly I’d like to apologize for inadvertently sending this message to the wrong mailing list, I’m very sorry about that.

Welcome — I hope you still have all your limbs intact! :-)

Below is the same message, but this time in the correct list:

I’m following the guide listed here http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Building_GNUstep_with_Clang but on step 3 when I run

make install

I get the following error:

cc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-Xclang’

cc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-Xclang’

Is there any extra prepwork I need to be doing that isn’t documented on the wiki? If it effects anything, I did install GNUstep and GNUstep-devel from aptitude.

What OS/distribution are you building under, and what version of clang?  A few of us have put together build scripts that use the latest GNUstep source using all the modern Objective-C features at https://github.com/plaurent/gnustep-build — perhaps one of those would help you?

Best,
Patryk