Re: StepSync 0.1 : wrong path and folders empty

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: StepSync 0.1 : wrong path and folders empty
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 23:57:04 +0200

On 2020-07-06 20:33, Patrick Cardona wrote:
I built the last release of StepSync I found from the gap repo (i.e. 1.1 according to the info panel) and I could test a sync of a large amount of data from a mounted usb hard drive (source) to my ssd drive (target) where my home directory is set : 15,5 GiB with a plenty of subfolders and 2679 files (music). All those folders ans files were created/copied and the analysis did a correct check after all. I also noted that the gauge (progress bar) was working fine.

Very nice. You are using it exactly what I wrote this for, although for images instead of music (but the tool is neutral to that).

I did work on analysis, also to check for corrupted date backups, added information about that, happens with external disks mounted on different computers. I am still improving that, just committed some more fine grained log out.

Good to know that things work for you, although by change I was having issues with directories, perhaps a bit like you had. I investigated and found the issue: Target and Source path needs to be normalized the same way (e.g both with or without trailing / as directory bath). In case of mixed, StepSync had issues, this could happen e.g. when copying a path or editing it manually on one side, but using the file chooser for the other.

I added a normalization step.

The progress bar works 99% of the time (there are corner cases depending on the features used) and display works thanks to multithreading.

Give it a new try :-P

Riccardo