Re: GNUstep.app, was: Debian Package Repository...

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: GNUstep.app, was: Debian Package Repository...
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 11:14:51 -0500

This is very nice.. I have only one comment:
  • Aaron Hillegass/Adam Preble: Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X. 4th ed. Addison-Wesly, 2012.
He gets the project COMPLETELY wrong in this book.  His misconception about us needing the "absolute latest" of gcc and other assumptions he made without really checking with us are damaging.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 10:56 AM Johannes Brakensiek <johannes@brakensiek.info> wrote:
Hello everyone,

On 15 Dec 2020, at 21:28, Johannes Brakensiek wrote:

> In the meantime I installed Arch/Manjaro on my development laptop as
> you are provided with much more recent packages when using a rolling
> release. And the Arch PKGBUILD system is quite easy to set up, so I've
> created some Arch packages using clang and libobjc2. These are
> compiled from git sources and thus provide some sort of continous
> delivery for development purposes:
>
> https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/home:letterus:gnustep-ngr
>
> That said I'd happily provide information on how to retrigger builds
> for the app/project you maintain to deliver a fresh build if you wish.
>
> One would have to add, that openSUSE's Open Build Service currently
> only provides x86_64 packages for Arch PKGBUILD files.
>
> This is not the case for Debian and RPM spec files. So I would of
> course add packaging instructions for additional distributions and
> architectures in case anybody would like to provide these.

> P.S.: For Manjaro users (I really like it); Add a panel to the top of
> the screen, add a global menu there and set GNUstep to use the
> Sombre.theme from Bertrand Dekoninck. From a optical point of view it
> integrates nicely, I think.

just to let you know. I used the time after Christmas to prepare a
little showcase on how to develop GNUstep apps when coming from
macOS/Cocoa (these apps using AppKit) and how to integrate these into a
popular desktop environment (because I think that’s what new devs
would be interested in):

https://gnustep.app/

It was a nice experience to put together some bits and pieces I learned
and explored the last year.

Hope you enjoy as well
Johannes

--