Re: [ML] Hosting of gnustep.org

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: [ML] Hosting of gnustep.org
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2021 08:22:24 +0100

Hi Lars,

> Am 21.01.2021 um 23:54 schrieb lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de:
>
> Hi Nikolaus,
>
>> Am 21.01.2021 um 21:54 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com>:
>>

>>> Am 21.01.2021 um 19:49 schrieb Ivan Vučica <ivan@vucica.net>:

>>> No translation into PHP needed. Simply implement an API in whatever
>>> language pleases you,
>>
>> What about Objective-C?
>
> If you want to use ObjC for Webapps why not using one of the oldest (since
> 1996) long time ago invented WebObjects or, if you want to have it the GNU
> way, GNUstepWeb? It has been there for a long time right at your fingertips.

Well, I was incomplete because it was only a statement about language:

I want to write all my apps in OpenSTEP classes and frameworks + Obj-C.

The benefit is that you need to write App logic only once. For Server+Browser,
for Desktop, for Mobile.
Why have 10, if one toolbox and set of building blocks suffices?

At the moment with mySTEP.php I only have OpenSTEP classes and frameworks + PHP.
Hence the wish for automatic Obj-C -> PHP translation to make PHP an internal
intermediate language and implementation detail.

GNUstepWeb would give me other classes and paradigm + Obj-C and Server+Browser
only.
Cappucino would give me other classes and paradigm + Obj-J and Server+Browser
only.
Other approaches would give me other classes and paradigm + other language and
Server+Browser only.

But all this doesn't help Greg to host gnustep.org.

BR,
Nikolaus