Re: [ML] Hosting of gnustep.org

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: [ML] Hosting of gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 18:53:42 +0100

> Am 19.01.2021 um 18:40 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com>:
>

>> Am 19.01.2021 um 18:20 schrieb Ivan Vučica <ivan@vucica.net>:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 5:11 PM H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com>
>> wrote:
>>> It did not need any maintainance in between. But it could be copied to
>>> any Linux host with apt-get install apache2 php mysql in ca. 30 minutes.
>>
>> This assumes you're always around -- or someone else that has dealt
>> with PHP and MySQL is around.
>
> It has to be done only once.

>>> Why not?
>>
>> - The code is not in the main repos
>
> It is on github: https://github.com/goldelico/swi
>
> and can easily be integrated to the repos
>
>> - The deployment procedure is unclear
>
> Indeed, tat is a weak point, but some information is in the README.md.
> Well not about the precise installation on gnustep.org.

Ok, I have researched. It was uploaded to the same location as the homepage
through CVS. So it simply sits in the root directory of the webspace
served by www.gnustep.org. I have no idea what the host was...

Well, it could have been cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/web/gnustep

>> - I don't have admin privileges to touch the database

The MySQL database is database "gnustep" running on mysql.gnustep.org.
This server resolves to mysql2.oxymium.net whoever operates that.

There is a user+password stored in the config.php as with all such
installations. So it could be possible to pull the DB as SQL-INSERT
statement format by mysqldump. Or everybody can pull it through the .plist
in XML/PList format.

In summary this means as long as the new www.gnustep.org server
has PHP and can access mysql.gnustep.org nobody should even recognise
that there was a move. So the database is not of concern.

Only running PHP on the www.gnustep.org server.