Re: [ML] Hosting of gnustep.org

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: [ML] Hosting of gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 19:05:19 +0100

> Am 19.01.2021 um 18:57 schrieb lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de:
>
> Hi there,
>
>> Am 19.01.2021 um 17:40 schrieb Gregory Casamento <greg.casamento@gmail.com>:
>>
>> The simplest solution is to turn off the GNUstep Software Index.  That's
>> the zero-effort solution.  There are then two alternatives:
>>

>> The other possible solution is that we simply store the software index
>> someplace else.  Like on heroku or another place which can accommodate it.
>>

> just make
>
> http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex/
>
> a redirect to
>
> https://softwareindex.gnustep.org/
>
> and host it on a dedicated host/webspace.

Yes, that would be good.

But as far as I understand github.io (which seems to be the preferred approach)
does not allow to redirect subpaths to somewhere else. You would have to
install some .htaccess file with a redirect rule and doing that is likely
blocked.

So my approach is to move everything to a dedicated host/webspace with more
control than github.io.

> An additional benefit of a dedicated host/webspace would be, that if this
> gets broken in / corrupted, the main site will be unaffected.

Well, is this a benefit? At the moment everything (except the database) is
hosted on the same machine. So it can not even break independently...

> Also, I think we should switch to HTTPS, which should be a no-brainer in
> times of https://letsencrypt.org but this is a completely different story …

Yes, indeed.

BR,
Nikolaus