Re: [ML] Hosting of gnustep.org

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: [ML] Hosting of gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 15:16:20 +0100

> Am 19.01.2021 um 14:59 schrieb David Chisnall <gnustep@theravensnest.org>:
>
> On 19/01/2021 12:57, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>>  Given that this is searching from under a hundred things, all of which can
>>> be downloaded in a single HTTP request quite cheaply, you could do that
>>> client side in less than one network round trip time.
>> And you can click the "Anything wrong with this entry? Click here to fix
>> it!" button at the end of the page allowing to propose new version or add
>> screen shots. Tell me how that should work.
>
> It would link to the source page on GitHub and ask people to raise a PR.  How
> many of these updates do you get currently?

>>> Normally, with client-side JavaScript.
>> What is your norm?
>
> I don't understand the question.

If you declare something as "normally" there must be something where you gauge
your statement.

>>>  I realise that some people dislike JavaScript, but in 2021 I think that
>>> battle is probably lost.
>> No I don't dislike it at all - but why do a new solution if one exists?
>
> I think that's what I'm asking.  Jekyll lets you build something

I don't want to build something new. If you want, please go ahead.

> with the same user experience, with no requirements on anything other than a
> static web host.  A dynamic web host imposes a nontrivial administrative
> burden for maintaining security (especially something using PHP).

No. PHP is not insecure per se - only if it is wrongly used.

>>> There are off-the-shelf JavaScript things for sortable / filterable /
>>> searchable tables, I quite like this one, which gives you a single .js file
>>> and falls back to a non-sortable table gracefully if JavaScript is disabled:
>>>
>>> http://www.kryogenix.org/code/browser/sorttable/
>> Yes, I know - but why choose a new solution if one exists?
>
> Yes, exactly.  Why roll your own when there are off-the-shelf things that do
> what you need?

SWI is on the shelf for ca. 8 years. PHP, MySQL as well.

>>> I don't seem to be able to sort the table with the live version and the
>>> filter by OS and Model boxes let me filter by Any, with no other options in
>>> the drop-down.
>> Yes, that is because there is only a single category for these values.
>>> Making the filter box work on the summary table is pretty trivial, just
>>> iterate over the table entries, hide (set the hidden property in the DOM)
>>> any table rows that don't match the search term.
>> That is exactly what the SQL select behind is also doing.
>
> And requires someone to pay for host an SQL database and someone to be
> responsible for security updates.

I am not aware that we did pay anything for PHP and SQL database of the swi in
the past 8 years. Why should that change?
All of this is FLOSS. Just apt-get it. To get security updates.

>>> Using a database or any server-side scripting seems massively
>>> overengineered for this.
>> No, it is not over engineered. It is already done! And is standard
>> technology. Look for example at Joomla, MediaWiki, NextCloud etc. They all
>> do the same. Some mix it with JavaScript to make some user interactions
>> smoother.
>
> These are all big CMS or web app systems, they are very different from a
> mostly static web page.
>
>>>  If the software index grows to have thousands of entries, I'd change my
>>> mind, but the complete data for the summary table is likely to be a couple
>>> of K and so you're likely to need more network traffic for boilerplate on
>>> multiple page requests with the same template than you save by filtering
>>> the contents on the server.
>> That may be true, but is even a counter-argument against your ideas: if it
>> is just some K (hence not wasting resources), why do a complete rewrite of
>> it (not to forget debugging) a working solution? This would waste other
>> resources, i.e. developer's time.
>
> Because maintaining a dynamic web server that is backed by a database costs
> time and money over an unbounded time.

It looks like you are just doing theoretical arguments. The SWI is up and
running for ca. 8 years and did neither cost time or money.

>>> I wouldn't.  Folks that want to update it can raise a GitHub PR that has
>>> their new Markdown file in it.  They can install the github-pages Ruby Gem
>>> and run jekyll-serve locally to test how their changes will look before
>>> submitting.  GitHub automatically sends emails about PRs to all maintainers
>>> of a project.
>>>
>>> I've seen this scale to projects with hundreds of contributors, I don't
>>> imagine GNUstep having problems with it.  Looking at that index, it appears
>>> as if it averages less than one update per month currently.
>> Ok, I see you want to invent something completely new instead of thinking
>> about how to easily move the existing.
>> In my experience, such proposals will rarely be completed because it is
>> possible to use the new technology, but it takes far more time than simply
>> continuing to use the old.
>
> The start point is that Gregory does not wish to continue paying for and
> maintaining the infrastructure.

I had asked but not got an answer how much it did cost. Btw. there was just an
offer to host the websites and everything, apparently for free.

>  I am 100% sympathetic with that, because it is doing nothing that cannot be
> done with zero-cost solutions that tens of thousands of other projects use.

Please go ahead and provide a replacement in time. But do not and never expect
that *I* am endorsing or doing that.

> The simplest solution is to turn off the GNUstep Software Index.  That's the
> zero-effort solution.

Well, if you do arguments on this level, I'd suggest something else: shut down
gnustep.org. That is the real zero-effort solution. Now I start to understand
why we could indeed need a code of conduct...

>  There are then two alternatives:
>
> - Someone volunteers to maintain the infrastructure.
> - Someone volunteers to rewrite it to use cheap instead infrastructure.

There is option 3:
- Someone migrates existing SWI on cheap (or free as in free beer)
infrastructure and takes care that it can still be accessed from
http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex