Re: [ML] Hosting of gnustep.org

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: [ML] Hosting of gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 14:09:43 +0100

> Am 19.01.2021 um 13:57 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com>:
>
>> I'd put each of the entries in a Markdown file with the metadata in the YAML
>> frontmatter.

BTW: I forgot to mention that we already have a GNUstep way of storing all this
metadata:

        http://www.gnustep.org/softwareindex/plist.php

The idea behind this is the recently mentioned GAPstore.app which would allow
to show
the same application list as a full app on the GNUstep desktop, filter out
applications
already installed and notify about updates. Like you know from iOS or Google
Play.

If you think a little further there could be a mode to edit entries locally and
send them
to the central database for doing announcements of new applications or versions.

All this becomes impossible or at least brain-twisting if there is not a
central database
but static HTML+JS+CSS pages.

So it completely breaks the philosophy and goals of the software index and
stops it from
ever becoming something like the macOS app store or Google Play.

BR,
Nikolaus