Re: [ML] Hosting of gnustep.org

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: [ML] Hosting of gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 17:05:16 +0000

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 2:19 PM H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:

> > And requires someone to pay for host an SQL database and someone to be
> > responsible for security updates.
>
> I am not aware that we did pay anything for PHP and SQL database of the swi
> in the past 8 years. Why should that change?
> All of this is FLOSS. Just apt-get it. To get security updates.

Hosting hardware costs money. (My VPS costs me EUR15 which I could
spend on, say, beer instead. Or I could put it into an investment
fund.)

Spending time on sysadmining has an opportunity cost -- not spending
time on something else. (Any minute I spend maintaining my chat server
[which I do happily run] is a minute I could spend with friends
playing games, or I could spend time on cutting a GNUstep release, or
maybe writing a script for a short film I could later shoot.)