Re: [ML] Re: Hosting of gnustep.org

From: H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: [ML] Re: Hosting of gnustep.org
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 18:04:02 +0100

> Am 19.01.2021 um 17:43 schrieb Umberto Cerrato <umbertocerrato@outlook.it>:
>
>> Theoretically (but that is a very personal opinion), to me the best platform
>> would be a self hosted one. Relying on other(s) services the least possible.

Indeed.

>> The issue with self-hosted solutions is reliability.  I have tried hosting
>> things on my home network and downtime is just too much.

The key issue is that it also needs some server maintainer. Somebody who can
press the reboot button if needed. On the other hand it is the most flexible
variant.

> Eventually I am not against paying for having a service. But, are we sure
> there are not “better” alternatives to AWS? Better for free software
> projects. So services which can more in line with free software principles?

IMHO renting a dedicated Linux server is neither expensive nor difficult to
use, so it is IMHO a good compromise.

Well it is a trade-off between access & reliability (AWS and other cloud
solution are scaleable and have mirrors/replicators/load balancers etc.) but a
single Linux node on the Internet (with a high speed and low latency
connection) may be sufficient.

When looking through a page like
https://www.hostingadvice.com/how-to/cheap-dedicated-server-hosting/ I get the
impression that it is quite expensive in the US. In Germany you can get
dedicated (or virtual) hosts with root access starting at ca. 30€ per month.
They come with full Debian or other blend and have remote control through ssh,
several GB of storage, and high speed internet and fixed IP address (which is
usually the main problem running your own server in your cellar).

But Andreas even offered to host the files:

> If the question is if anyone wants to host it, I can raise my hand. I run
> some hosting service for some customers.
> However, I don't have the time to administer it. So a VM for the project and
> internet connectivity through AS6775. Content is a different story.

So hosting is for free (?). Network access is there. Content is already
available at github.io.

And the VM is likely a remotely controlled Linux where we ssh as root and then
"apt-get install apache2 php mysql git". What is missing?

Someone (or a team) doing it :)

BR,
Nikolaus