Re: Problem with icns file

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Problem with icns file
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 22:38:25 +0100

Hi Bertrand,

Bertrand Dekoninck wrote:

I'm answering to myself here. I did a test with common_Folder.png in Sombre.theme, created a icns containing multiple sizes and it works. 64x64 size default folder is less blury in GWorkspace.

I think your theme is doing something then.
GWorkspace uses "system" icons to represent its special folders and the default size is 48x48: I have added those icon myself for the standard theme, but also for a few other themes like Sleek or Tango and they are all rendered to 48x48 and look perfect for me.

How does the standard GNUstep theme look for you?

Maybe you have a scale factor on your display or something similar?

Will there be a performance hit if I replace all icons ?

Most probably yes, but... I believe TIFF and PNG are the most efficient formats here to read. However, if for some reason you are resizing icons and instead .icns already has that format, it will not only less blurred/jagged but faster to retrieve (that's the point of that format)

Riccardo