RE: Web site matrix

From: Daniel Boyd
Subject: RE: Web site matrix
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 10:45:07 -0500

Yes – having discovered GNUstep through the web site myself, I only got to the point where I understood all of that stuff by really digging through a lot of articles and even through talking to people. Part of what drew me to the project in the first place is I’m a history buff and the story of NeXT and OpenSTEP fascinates me. The idea that the FOSS community latched onto the OpenSTEP concept and that project is still alive and well today is a testament to the power of open development and to the legal wisdom of the GPL. Here we are, 20+ years later—NeXT doesn’t exist and its successor Apple couldn’t care less about OpenSTEP and yet here we all are, thanks in large part to the copyleft concept.

Anyway, that was long winded, but my point is that I’m not a typical developer. Most of them aren’t going to be willing to dig as deep as I was and take the time to really learn about the project—not when there are plenty of other frameworks out there that are easier to get into. The web site needs to surface the kind of info the typical developer is looking for quickly and easily.

I also think you could build in a voting system directly into that matrix where developers could vote for OS/compiler combos that aren’t stable yet. Just so we can all see what people are wanting. I suspect that Windows/clang/objc2 would get a lot of votes, but that’s an assumption. The web site could give you actual data.

Daniel