Re: Debian 11/Clang 11 issues compiling...

From: Andreas Fink
Subject: Re: Debian 11/Clang 11 issues compiling...
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 01:04:35 +0200

actually my issue from earlier today waas something else (some improper
locking)

I did have issues on debian 11 with the latest clang  version. Going
with the one which comes with the box was ok but the one from llvm.org
repo gave me issues.
I remember I had to compile things twice. The first attempt failed
miserably. make check or make test will go nuts...
So its maybe a issue between libobjc2 and libdispatch and  gnustep-base.
that they circulalry depend on each other and fail when libobjc 1.0 is
first referred.
Or I simply didnt had my environment variables set properly on my first
attempt. I cant figure it out but I have seen similar issues with
Debian10 when built for the first time on  a empty machine.

Debian rule #1   is to ALWAY use the gold linker.
I usually do this by a symlink:

    cd /usr/bin
    mv ld ld.old
    ln -s  ld.gold ld

(ld originally points to x86_64-linux-gnu-ld instead of
x86_64-linux-gnu-ld.gold  )

Debian rule #2 is to always use clang (version 8 or newer)

If you dont use the gold version and/or clang version 7 or older. you
will see failures due to misaligned datastructures (it optimized things
away it shoudlnt)). Thats a quite late failure which will bite you very
hard and makes your head twist. Because it looks like it "kinda" works
but then does all kinds of strange arbitrary things. Properties return
data from other places than they shuld and you get rubbish data etc.

my debian11 binaries where built with Debian clang version 11.0.1-2
my debian 10 binaries where built with Debian clang version
10.0.1-++20210313014605+ef32c611aa21-1~exp1~20210313125208.190

these are the packages I have built for Debian11 (x86-64)
    gnustep-base-1.28.0_amd64.deb
    gnustep-corebase-0.2.1_amd64.deb
    gnustep-make-2.9.0_amd64.deb
    libdispatch-5.5.0_amd64.deb
    libiconv-1.16.0_amd64.deb
    libobjc2-2.1.0_amd64.deb

You can download them from:

http://repo.universalss7.com/debian/dists/bullseye/universalss7/binary-amd64/

the way I have built these is documented here:

https://github.com/andreasfink/ulib/blob/master/doc/README-Debian11-bullseye.txt

I didnt get to the gui & back part because I dont need them for my apps.
Generally if gnustep-base tests passes, then the rest is a piece of cake.
the GUI part originally gave me an issue in Debian 11. Can't remember
what it was.