Re: [DMCA-Activists] Re: Eric Grimm re: Zittrain: Call Off the Copyright

From: Ruben I Safir
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] Re: Eric Grimm re: Zittrain: Call Off the Copyright War
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:46:55 -0500

The first step in winning this war is winning the lexicon battle.

This is fundemental marketing 1.01

That's why the term Copyright is even objectable unles
refering specifically to the law.  These are limited Government franchises
on the publics cultural heritage.

Under no circumstance should they be refered to as property.

Ruben

PS - NY Fair Use's email address is, as it always has been, address@hidden

I'm offended when people use other addresses to refer to it since the Domain is
being cyber squated by Brett Wynkoop.

Seth should know better.

Ruben

On 2002.11.29 10:03 Richard Stallman wrote:
>     There's a huge opportunity here to examine with great care
>     some of the largely unexamined assumptions underlying the
>     debate over "intellectual property."
>
> Any debate about "intellectual property" tends to be idiotic.  That
> term lumps together areas of law that have nearly nothing in common,
> including copyrights and patents.  At that level of abstraction, the
> real issues are not even visible.  Even if you use scare quotes, that
> term gets in the way.
>
> The first step towards achieving clarity is to reject the overlarge
> category of "intellectual property", and talk about copyrights and
> patents separately.  For more explanation, see
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html.
>
> The word "create" as used to describe writing is also somewhat biased,
> and I suggest avoiding it.
>
> As for whether people will write without pay, we do not need to
> speculate that they will.  In the Free Software community there are
> half a million people who volunteer to write free software.  There are
> also at least hundreds who are paid to write free software--paid, that
> is, without preventing people from copying and redistributing what
> they write.  After just 3 years, the free encyclopedia Wikipedia is
> now 1/3 the size of the Encyclopedia Britannica.  At least in the area
> of works that are used to a job, we know now that restricting users
> from sharing is simply unnecessary.
>
> See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/ for more information about the
> philosophy of free software.

Brooklyn Linux Solutions