Re: [DMCA-Activists] Re: Eric Grimm re: Zittrain: Call Off the Copyright

From: Horror Vacui
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] Re: Eric Grimm re: Zittrain: Call Off the Copyright War
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 22:11:57 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:

As for whether people will write without pay, we do not need to
speculate that they will.  In the Free Software community there are
half a million people who volunteer to write free software.  There are
also at least hundreds who are paid to write free software--paid, that
is, without preventing people from copying and redistributing what
they write.  After just 3 years, the free encyclopedia Wikipedia is
now 1/3 the size of the Encyclopedia Britannica.  At least in the area
of works that are used to a job, we know now that restricting users
from sharing is simply unnecessary.

I can't help wondering that this is used as an argument at all. Probably it takes to be a lawyer not to blush when, again, on behalf of copyright raiders, you have to argue that people wouldn't write, sing, paint, dance, photograph etc. if they weren't paid for it. On the other hand I don't know about the workings of something I'd call "incorporated minds" - weirder things are happening, possibly some of them even believe it.

I find this argumentation, besides other things, to be an insult to the mankind. Those people obviously consider us all sheep who can be steered conveniently by the principle of stick and carrot: take away the carrot, and they'll just revert to their plant-like existance, with as much incentive to do anything except eat, sleep and breed as a rain-worm. They are claiming to be the maecenas, a kind of common-interest organisation for the benefit of the humanity that just happens to earn money thanks to some obscure side-effect. Hardly ever you can hear them talking about profits, shareholder value, return of investment - the things one expects to hear (and find nothing objectionable about) from a multinational corporation, it's always about "providing revenue channels for artists", "defending the interests of the creative", "providing incentive to creativity" and other slogans sounding nice enough to be taken up by a broader mass, or parroted by those who have an interest into things staying the way they are. Almost any debate on the subject tends to be not only idiotic, but also thoroughly detestable, because to defend your standpoint you have to deal with your adversary's arguments; the sole attempt to do so sometimes makes me feel as if I were covered with dung all over. I can't really speak freely on the subject. Alone thinking about it can sometimes leave me enraged and speechless, helplessly wondering whether nearly everybody except myself is insane for discussing it in this way, not seeing the blatantly obvious. This, of course, is one of the symptoms of a zealot. Zealots differ from "normal persons" in their lack of self-reflection, and in the lack of interest to analyse the situation in more depth than necessary to surface efficient arguments to prove their standpoint. Trying against odds to be just a normal person, I've against all reluctance tried to find arguments in their favour - without much success.

The argument of "defending the interests of the creative" as a primary motive of the copyright raiders can be done away with without discussing, whether it figures among the motives at all can for the sake of fairness be discussed, but it's deceptive (and as I said above, disgusting). What really needs to be discussed is the overall situation: what are the effects, what's desirable, what's beneficial.

First of all: money IS an incentive to "be creative" - the argument is technically correct. If you have some talent and see a chance to make money out of it, you'll probably go for it, and there's nothing in the world speaking against that. If the talent were the sole measure of how much money you can make, there'd be nothing wrong with earning huge amounts of money with it. This is where this kind of "incentive" gets to be a problem: it's cumulative. Enough money to pay the rent is the incentive to work, lots of money is a huge incentive - enough to make many people do anything, virtually anything - steal, rob, murder, cheat. Or do something similarly gruesome, make music for instance. The fact is that this incentive - money - has become practically the only one, not to be "creative", but to create marketable content. Those who benefit from companies "providing revenue channels for the creative" are, almost as a rule, not worth it, nor they are creative. The darwinist workings of modern world have soaked through into nearly everything, you have to be successful to survive, and since it's ultimately about companies, the sole measure of success is money: overturn, return of investment, stocks value, shareholder value, blah. Now transfer this principle to something like music. To survive on the "music market" you need something that will sell widely; what will sell widely is something that sufficiently satisfies the taste of as many people as possible; what satisfies the taste of the majority is usually the lowest common denominator - all this can be summed up in a single word: mediocrity.

"But there is still place for real artists", someone might argue. Surely the industry has enough money to allow themselves to publish something that won't sell so well, simply as a service to the society? This kind of thing has happened earlier - it was not at all unusual for a publisher to have two separate lines, one for the profit, and one for the soul. But nowadays, it has become a rough world. Publishing is not any more in the hands of enthusiasts that also happen to be good businessmen, who would allow a part of their capital to return less than maximum in order to have a good book out. The market is so competitive that even something that you can make money with is considered a loss if it doesn't match the return of investment in other fields - non-related fields. Put before a choice between Britney Spears and, say, Nirvana, the record companies not only would take Britney Spears, they'd also attempt to create ten of her kind rather than "making a loss" with Nirvana, which is really a net gain but - compaired with software industry, for instance - simply not enough. The only way real artists - like Nirvana, for example - can succeed is if they "happen"; if they happen, they create an excellent profit but it's unpredictable. Quality does sell, but it takes a great amount of luck to get to that point and even then it doesn't sell as predictably well as rubbish. Nevertheless, Nirvana was a success - you'd perhaps expect the record companies to have learnt a lesson, to risk a bit and give a chance to similarly "unlikely to succeed" bands, introduce more diversity. No, they called it grunge, hyped it and tried to create ten another Nirvanas. They can't see beyond their nose - and we let the blind lead us.

Copyright industry provides incentive - to the wrong people. Artists, the real ones, are a bad investment. Their primary (sometimes the only) interest is the art they're creating and they won't let themselves be controlled easily (provided they have any success this side the grave). They follow the dictate of the art: a successful novelist will suddenly start writing plays or poetry, a top-photographer will start drawing, a rock star will start writing operas, they'll cut an ear off, pump themselves full with drugs and die, blow their brains out or simply stop doing anything because they lack inspiration. Generally, they won't care about deadlines, profits, marketing investment, they'll do what they think is right and often enough won't even give a damn about what the publicum - targeted consumers - expect from them. How much better is someone who's in it for the money! If you have a cute puppet to sing meaningless lyrics written by some nameless slave to tunes from some other nameless slave, if he/she will follow coreographer's and director's instructions to create a perfect soft-porn video, if he/she can (nonwithstanding being the incarnation of sin on the stage) play the role of a decent youth so moms and dads will approve, there's little that can go wrong. If some nameless slave decides he'd rather paint than make music, you can sack him and employ another one, even if the puppet goes bananas (really starts to believe to be an artist, for instance), it's easily interchangeable - you have the same team work with a new puppet and fill out the gap seamlessly.

Oh, yes, they provide incentive. To produce soulless soul imitations. To breed gangsta rappers trying to shock the audience with what's been a commonplace for ages, using a contractually set number of "unfit" words. Tenors providing alibi-material for those who'd like to believe or make believe they like classical music. Young naive girls to please young naive girls, dirty old men, dirty young men and the moms of the world alike, all for different and uncompatible reasons. Novels whose only substance is suspense. Films so meaningless and silly that anybody from a 5 year old to his half-blind grandmother will sit through it and have a scene to tell about afterwards. Films consisting entirely of special-effects with a sprinkling of sujet as an excuse. Singers who can't sing, musicians who can't make music, actors that can't act and writers that have nothing to say. And, annually, yet another boy-band.

What would we have without this incentive? For instance, more ugly musicians. Has it ever occurred to you that "musicians" nowadays nearly all look like models? Looks have nothing to do with musical talent, yet you hardly ever get to see a normal-looking or outright ugly person - which are at least 90% of humanity - in the concerned media. If you do, it'll very likely be at least tolerable music that you're hearing (for example: Missy Elliot, Moby, Björk, Tricky...) Without the big money, the criteria of success would return to what they once were - and what they ought to be. Personally, I like musicians that can make music, actors that can act, writers that can write and have something to say, and porn stars that are sexy, but none of these qualities has any business outside their own category. I might buy a porn video featuring Sylvia Saint, but I don't see why I should see a movie featuring, or a CD by Jennifer Lopez, only because she gives me a... you get the picture. I'd be completely helpless if someone asked me to explain the success of Jennifer Lopez as actress or singer without mentioning her arse, as would probably be anyone else. Yet, thanks to the system the copyright raiders would like us to accept, she is an "actress" and a "singer". I think we can congratulate ourselves on having the industry.

Copyright in itself isn't at all a bad concept. The rights of authors should be preserved. Those who create something that others think worth the while should also be able to get a reward they deserve and wish, including a financial reward - after all, it takes money to keep body and soul together. The idea of copyright is noble. The current legislation, along with the "copyright industry" represents the n-th level of perversion of this idea, which doesn't prevent them from appealing on the common decency that makes people accept the idea. To the extent it works, this is a very effective tactics. While they're talking about "the artists", "the creative", they know that the wider public will miss the whole picture and sympathise with the romantic image of, say, a half-starved painter in a paris atelier, painting with cold-stiff fingers something that will be worth millions after his death. The industry also knows that the broader publicum has no idea that the system they're defending wouldn't help that poor painter either, because broader publicum wouldn't buy his pictures, and he probably wouldn't bother to sell more then absolutely necessary to appease the hunger and ban the cold. Their mission then would be to "provide a channel of revenue" to the half-talented painter who can produce a large amount of cute worthless landscapes and portraits that can be sold to the broader publicum. I think that one of the main missions of us zealots right now should be to bring the damage of industrialised exploitation of copyright to our culture to their attention. Copyright, the way it is now, is primarily a vehicle to make money, and secondly it chokes the genuinely artistic and creative by providing incentive to the wrong people and flooding the "market". Or rather covering it like ice covers a pool of water , locking out oxygen everywhere except for the fisher's hole.

People will write for free. They will write for free even if they're starving. They will do that because they're humans; it's in our nature. They will do that even if they know that nobody will read it, will ever know about them. It takes no incentive; creativity and artistic expression ARE, because we are.

I'm not taking the cynical standpoint that we can or should exploit these attributes (among the most admirable in men) without giving anything in return. People who would write even if they'll starve are usually those worth reading. If there's less of those who write only because of money, the former are less likely to starve because they might actually get through. If there's a way of distribution that doesn't have to guarantee at least n sold copies, anyone can write and publish a book - great writers and those who think they are - and the public can decide. In the moment, there's no system of rewarding the writer (or the translator), nor there is established system of publicity for internet-published works; but as soon the grip of copyright raiders weakens (that is, as soon as people notice that the real show is in the internet), something of sorts will come up. In the moment, something like this is nearly impossible. The copyright raiders still have a firm grip on us all, with the effect that no band, no singer, no writer, no filmmaker is "big" without having succeeded in the still monopolised media. The symbiotism of media companies is still a gigantic, well-oiled machinery of propaganda, it's running at high speed and can take some blows before loosing momentum. As long as it is there to tell you what you like, other channels of popularisation have little chance.

On the whole, the copyright industry are doomed. Once, as the media were difficult to produce and distribute, they had a function. Nobody questioned the necessity to pay for books, records and so on as long it was the only way of distribution - after all, you payed for something real, a thing that had to be produced by an intermediate instance. The more this is not the case, the more the copyright raiders have to cling to increasingly abstract concepts to justify their existance, and the more abstract the concepts are, the harder it gets to convince people of them. In not too long a time they'll have lost their raison d'etre, but that doesn't mean they'll disappear; they're doomed, but that doesn't mean they won't find a way to haunt the world afterwards. This is exactly what they're trying to achieve by "sponsoring" governments and "lobbying" for legislations: they're cementing their position before the foundations are gone. If we let them have their way, we all will suffer the consequences. The role of the governments (who were originally intended to serve the people's, not the money's interest) is detestable. The way everything is happening isn't good at all. As Umberto Eco said, respect of the laws, contrary to the popular belief, isn't secured by law enforcement, but by a broad consense. We pay taxes not because we'd have to go to jail otherwise, but because there's a consense that there are certain communal expenses that have to be shared. Models of societies and regulations can't be effectively and durably be dictated from above. In order to have a society based on families, you have to have a majority that is willing to identify with the model and behave as families: mothers, fathers and children. </eco-plagiarism> The copyright laws are rigid, but they're rapidly loosing the base. File sharing shows that people are not willing to play by the rules, committing happily what is technically a theft, but according to their common sense harms nobody. Yes, it harms the industry, and it harms the "artists", but obviously they're refusing to be convinced of their necessity. The whole business has reached a fantastic level of abstraction, too abstract for the man on the street to understand it, wish to understand it or give a damn. They man on the street sees perfectly well that the "artists" he's allegedly harming still have enough money to buy his entire posessions thousands of times over, he sees that the music industry has enough money to hunt the Napsters of the world, pay enormous amounts of money for marketing and still make a mind-boggling profit - and he simply refuses to sympathise. The people have discovered sharing, and they like it. The broad consensus is not on the side of lawmakers and their "sponsors". They can make laws against the consensus, but by doing so, they're building up pressure.

The times are a-changing. The structures we had until now are no longer appropriate. Throughout the history, every significant technological progress has also entrained a revolution of sorts, because the old structures - economical and political - were overcome. The very significant techological progress of our days is the democratisation of distribution channels, the democratisation of information, and the thoroughly networked world. We're not isolated any more, we can cooperate across the globe, we can work on projects that benefit all, we are able to see the humanity as what it's always been: one whole, a global community, and there's no petty interests to stop us from participating, good will provided. I think there's a revolution ahead. From time to time we outgrow the world we've created for ourselves and have to change it, just like a snake does with its skin. The old regulations that were appropriate once are still beneficial for the ruling class, but the people feel they are unjust and opressive. The rulers of course won't cede their positions without resistance, they will try to keep the system, try to secure it with bolts, planks, duct tape and finally their own weight, so when finally the pressure blows the hatch, it blows them away too. Bang - a revolution. All past revolutions have been bloody and promised more than they fulfilled, but nearly all have brought at least some improvement. No revolution is a pleasant business (the Chinese curse someone by saying: "May you live in an interesting epoch"), but it's a highly necessary one. Let's hope we can manage it this time around without bloodshed.

Huh, that was long. What was it that I wanted to say again?

Oh, before I forget: this e-mail is copyrighted. You've read it, you owe me 10 euro. ;-)

Cheers
Horror Vacui

P.S. Richard, in case you're reading: Thanks for everything.