[DMCA-Activists] Re: Microsoft to Patent .NET

From: PILCH Hartmut
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: Microsoft to Patent .NET
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:07:12 +0100 (CET)

> Wojina writes "Microsoft has applied for a comprehensive patent on
> what appears to be the entire implementation of the .NET CLR (Common
> Language Runtime) and the framework APIs.

Microsoft has applied at the EPO for a patent on key principles and
features of another related language standard called GDL.  GDL seems
to be an extended-and-embraced version of XML which incorporates
object orientation, overcoming some of the rigidity of SGML/XML.

See

        http://swpat.ffii.org/pikta/txt/ep/1271/339/

and, if you can afford the time, report about some more interesting
Microsoft patents and patent applications.  All patents of Microsoft
at the EPO are listed at

        http://swpat.ffii.org/players/microsoft/#epat

Since Arlene McCarthy claims she wants "to show what is patentable and
what not", one might ask her which of these are, according to the
McCarthy Software Patent Directive draft, not patentable inventions.
As far as I can read the draft, I'd say the answer is "none".

--
Hartmut Pilch, FFII & Eurolinux Alliance              tel. +49-89-12789608
Protecting Innovation against Patent Inflation       http://swpat.ffii.org/