Re: [DMCA-Activists] MPAA draft state super-DMCA amendment

From: Dan Barrett
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] MPAA draft state super-DMCA amendment
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 00:33:25 -0500

I think you're quite right about the chilling effect -- when I first read the
bill, it struck me as a ready-made SLAPP (Strategic Lawsuit(s) Against Public
Participation) mechanism.
If some corporation wanted to silence me via a civil action under H.2743, the
teeth are there: seizure of equipment; threat of $gazillion/day fines; the
towering cost of the legal representation necessary to prevail against a
multinational corporation.  Now, a court might determine after the fact that
"intent" was absent and that I've done no wrong, but in the meantime, my
hardware is gone and the lawyer's taxi meter is still running.  The MPAA need
only subject one or two folks to this kind of treatment before one decides
not to put those instructions for booting Plan 9 on TiVO up on one's website.

--
http://www.offthehill.org/~dan