Re: [DMCA-Activists] Pre-emptive comment on "NY Fair Use" dispute

From: Ruben Safir
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] Pre-emptive comment on "NY Fair Use" dispute
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:13:42 -0400

Really

I had no idea that happened with Michal Sims.

In any event, NY Fair Use was began by me as early as August 2000
after NYLUG protested the sec 1201 of the DMCA.  It's first effort was to help
NYLUG with the DeCSS case.  It floundered, and I was broke.  I asked a friend,
Brett Wynkoop to register NYFAIRUSE.org.  He did so at my request.  I
wrote all the material and the site design for NY Fair Use.

I tried to appoint officers, and meeting broke down because the organization
was unfocused and without funding.  So I started NYLXS to act as an umbrela for
NY Fair Use, by giving it a stable funding system and rational government.

This worked.

NY Fair Use then pulled it's members from NYLXS, and we took our first trip
to Washington to Lobby.  We did the door to door petitioning.  And we
then did the DRM is theft campaign with the Department of Commerce.  We
delayed in folding NY Fair Use into NYLXS until we passed it through
New York State to assure that it would not threaten the NYLXS non-profit status.

The last campaign was such a success that Brett and Jay made a conscious
decision to steal NY Fair Use. They badgered the NYLXS board, held the NYLX.org
domain hostage for over a year, incorperated under our trademark in February of
2003
and verbally abused me in my home, as Jay was living with me at the time.

Then they made a mirror of NYLXS and tried to run an alternate mailing list.
They came to NY Fair Use meetings and disrupted them, and they've intefered with
our public relations.

They've been sent a certified letter from us demanding the return of
NYFAIRUSE.org to NYLXS.  They refused acceptence.  We tried to settle
the matter with them, they've refused.

All the primary documentation of these events are on the fairuse.nylxs.com
mailing list archive and on the site, including the settlement offers.

NYLXS has repeatedly told Brett and Jay to remove our members from their
list of people who support them.  It is lible to suggest NYLXS or myself
ever worked with any organization they lead,, or co-operates in any way with
any with Jay or Brett.

Brett and Jay are in violation of our copyrights, and our trademarks.

Anyone who work with Jay and Brett are collaberating with grevious
copyright violators, and trademark violators.

Ruben Saifr
Sole Founder of NY Fair Use and NYLXS
Secretary of NYLXS
Chairman of NY Fair Use