[DMCA-Activists] On the RIAA and the Destruction of Value

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] On the RIAA and the Destruction of Value
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:12:16 -0400

(Forwarded from Pho list)

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Marks <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 00:56:04 -0700
Subject: pho: Tim Oren: Rant: The RIAA and the destruction of value

http://www.pacificavc.com/blog/2003/09/12.html#a353

Rant: The RIAA and the destruction of value

So here I am, back again to flog the RIAA.  Why, one might ask?  After
all, I've got the word 'capitalist' in my job title, unreservedly
support private property rights, and don't have ethical issues with the
concept of intellectual property (some implementation details aside).
I don't copy music I don't own, nor do I encourage others to do so.
Yet I boycott the RIAA and take frequent opportunity to trash them
publicly.

  Call me naive - [Chorus:  You're a hopeless naif.] - but I've got
this
quaint idea that the idea of a business is to add value.  And that the
value is judged by the customer, not the seller.  By its obstinate and
culpably idiotic refusal to understand that technology has changed the
way in which the value of music is delivered and understood by
listeners, the RIAA and the labels it stands for have turned from value
creators into value destroyers, in many different ways.  They are well
on the way to permanently damaging an industry that has been part of
America's cultural heritage, as well as a decent part of our exports to
the rest of the world.  The bill of particulars...

  ...starts with the obvious: digital music and the Internet.  From the
customer's side the value is overwhelming - no more stacks of
polycarbonate discs, access to a world of choice instantly, removal of
most of the risks of format obsolescence.  Even from the selling side
there are advantages: no more inventory holding costs, more packaging
flexibility, no more takebacks on unsold product.  But, it does require
that you rebuild your model for creating value from one based on
scarcity, to one based on abundance.  Something the industry apparently
can't deal with until it's rammed down its throat by a customer revolt.

  The industry's response?  While the P2P systems grew, built on
networks of machinery operated by its customers, it went off on a tail
chase, seeking digital rights management (DRM) approaches to locking up
digital music.  In other words, to restore the scarcity value model,
regardless of the benefits to its customers.  Kevin Marks has for some
time been saying 'DRM destroys value'.  If value is in the customer's
eyes, shouldn't that be obvious?  Is a locked piece of music more or
less convenient to use, and more or less likely to be a problem to copy
to other devices?  Which version would you value more?  It's amazing
that it's even a question that artificial scarcity is a stupid idea.
How much more obvious should that be,  when the customers already know
there's an alternative, and have it in their hands?

  Abundance presents its own opportunities to create customer value.
Google, just to take an example, owns an insignificant amount of
content, but is valuable because of the overwhelming abundance of it on
the Internet.  The music fan in a world of abundance has problems as
well.  How do I organize my songs?  Is there new music I should know
about?  Are any of my favorite artists coming to town, and how do I get
tickets?  Are there new acts that I might like?  Where can I find
like-minded fans to hang out with?  How do I make sure I can get the
music I want anytime, anywhere, on any gadget, and don't lose it?  All
of these are opportunities to create value, and potential ways to
extract revenue and rebuild a business model in a post-scarcity world.

  The recording industry has blown off every one.  It allowed the
venues
business to fall into the hands of a  rapacious monopolist.  My music
is organized by iTunes and Gracenote, little thanks to the labels, and
inter-device portability has been colonized by open standards and
operating systems vendors.  There's more value in the free
recommendations and reviews on Amazon than the entire RIAA's output.  I
get more use from free concert indexing sites than the entire
Top-10-hit-worshipping industry.  Is there anyone still in there that
loves the music, or is it lawyers all the way down?  It doesn't seem to
bother them that they have created llittle to no customer value that
can survive in the face of abundance.

  Customers value and will pay for convenience.  Apparent convenience
changes with the technology.  Once upon a time, the size of 33 1/3 RPM
vinyl records defined the convenient 'bundle' called an album, then
later the limits of a CD.  But when digital music makes physical limits
an anachronism, there is no longer a convenience value, and the
one-hit-wonder album must die.  Still, the industry tried to maintain
an obsolete, overpriced bundling strategy until its channel began to
collapse.  Meanwhile, it took other convenience values such as
subscriptions, and crippled them with unworkable DRM schemes,
proprietary formats, and limited catalogs.

  The RIAA did not stop there in its search for value to destroy.
There
were the whole industries of consumer electronics, computing, and
communications, all exacerbating the problem of abundance.  They must
be stopped, and scarcity restored.  Fortunately, entire industries are
able to fight back, and have bribery lobbying budgets that they can put
on the line, but this game is still in doubt.  But will you be more or
less likely to buy a new computer - or operating system - if it's got
DRM inextricably built in?

  There are values beyond commercial exchange.  Little matters like
free
speech and the freedom to invent.  The RIAA took the profits derived
from its customers, and bought the influence to help ram through the
DMCA.  Now we have a most peculiar sort of thought police - something
even Orwell failed to imagine - to track you if you dare to subvert
artificial scarcity.  Again, why is there any question at all that this
has destroyed both customer and social values?  If the buggy whip
industry had had the gall and resources of the music industry, we might
still be scraping horse dung from our streets, and hiding gasoline
engine projects from the enforcement cops in our basements.

  For its repeated and unremitting stupidity, the music industry has
earned my contempt as a business person.  For its willingness to
infringe rights, corrupt the political process, and attack other
businesses to save its own sorry neck, it's earned my direct enmity.
It's a sorry, dying beast, but quite able to savage us and our society
as it goes.  As money is energy, the best way to limit the damage is to
cut off the profits, and the cash flow.  I'm boycotting the RIAA,
please join me.

  (Next up in this occasional series of rants: some thoughts on
business models to take the fight to the heart of the music market,
rather than nibble at the small acts.)