[DMCA-Activists] Senate Votes to Undo FCC Rules

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Senate Votes to Undo FCC Rules
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:12:44 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: "The Newspaper Guild" <address@hidden>
Date: 16 Sep 2003 20:35:10 -0000
Subject: Senate Votes to Undo FCC Rules

This is being sent to Guild activists.

The Senate today voted 55 to 40 to approve a measure that would undo
all the media ownership rules adopted by the Federal Communications
Commission on June 2. Several Republicans were included in the 55
majority, including Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss.) who co-sponsored the
resolution along with Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.). The rules, if
enacted, would allow for more consolidation of media ownership both in
national and local markets. The Senate resolution still must be passed
by the House and signed by the President (who has threatened a veto)
before the rules could be vacated. A federal appeals court in
Philadelphia earlier this month stayed implementation of the new rules
pending the outcome of a suit challenging their validity.

For more information, go to www.newsguild.org and click on Extra
Extra!.

Attached is a list of how the Senators voted. Thanks to all who let
their Senator know their views on this issue. We now must turn our
focus to the House of Representatives.

Final note to Guild-CWA members: CWA Legislative Rep. Alfonso Pollard
and the entire CWA Legislative Department worked tirelessly to get
this done. It was a great effort.

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about
this.

http://www.unionvoice.org/join-forward.html?domain=cwa_action&r=b7zhMRY
13dzl

If you received this message from a friend, you can
sign up for CWA e-Activist Center at:

http://www.unionvoice.org/cwa_action/join.html?r=b7zhMRY13dzlE