Re: [DMCA-Activists] More on: PC HDTV Tuners and "Broadcast Flag"

From: Seth Finkelstein
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] More on: PC HDTV Tuners and "Broadcast Flag"
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 01:23:09 -0500

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 12:06:55AM -0600, Larry Garfield wrote:
> The activist in me feels that the effort should be under way to write
> FCC-non-compliant open source drivers for it, and make them damned good.
> Host them offshore if you have to, but fight every bloody inch.

        Oh no. Make it FCC compliant, by all means. Why buy trouble?

/* The following lines implement the broadcast flag per FCC rules.
   DO NOT DELETE THESE LINES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. No way. Nuh-huh.
   Don't do it. You'd be a bad boy if these lines were deleted.
   Naughty, naughty, naughty, on you for deleting this part of the file
   Nudge-nudge-wink-wink know what I mean?
*/

        In fact, I think the broadcast flag would be great as an
independent loadable kernel module. Good design. Make sure you load
that module now, the FCC requires it. Go look at the BROADCAST-FLAG-HOWTO.
Not loading the module would be against the law, and we know you
wouldn't want to go there, right?

        In reality, you can't get away with that stuff. But I couldn't
resist the joke today.

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  address@hidden  http://sethf.com
Anticensorware Investigations - http://sethf.com/anticensorware/