[DMCA-Activists] Canadian Government funding DRM with Tax Dollars

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Canadian Government funding DRM with Tax Dollars
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:59:47 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [BoingBoing-mailblog]Canadian government funding DRM with
tax-dollars
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 15:54:02 -0400
From: Cory Doctorow <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Canadian government funding DRM with tax-dollars

The Canadian government is <em>giving away tax-dollars</em> to fund the
creation of <em>digital rights management</em> software. I think I'm going
to throw up. Or go on tax strike. The idea that the Canadian government is
going to spend <em>my</em> arts-career-earned dollars on doomed
techno-snake-oil whose only use is to frustrate posterity, steal the
public's rights in copyright, and justify the existence of stunningly evil
anti-circumvention laws -- Christ, it makes me want to spit.

To assist in the development and implementation of online, copyright
management and licensing systems and mechanisms that facilitate access to
and the exploitation of one or all types of existing or copyrighted works,
in particular Canadian, including works where multiple ownership
arrangements exist, preferably through the development of a single-window
model.

> http://www.pch.gc.ca/pc-ch/pubs/2004/4_e.cfm#5

(<i>Thanks, <a
href="http://copyrightcanada.blogspot.com/";>Damien</a>!</i>)