Re: [DotGNU]IDE proposal - Eclipse

From: Mike Krüger
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]IDE proposal - Eclipse
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 11:45:00 +0100

Hi

> If we need a standardized IDE that'l be used by DotGNU users, why not
> Eclipse? It is free (Mozilla alike, if I understood well), multiplatform,
> and "all" you need to do is to write a new plug-in for specific purpose.
>
> At this momment there should be at least Java and C++ plug-ins.
>
> http://www.eclipse org
>
> Eclipse is based upon IBM's code, and it is supported by IBM, RedHat,
> Borland, Rational...

Why not use SharpDevelop as IDE ? SharpDevelop has also a mighty plugin
system
which allows almost any language. It is written entirely in .NET which makes
the development
of reflection browser, code completion etc. more easy than developing it in
Java.
And you don't need a java platform to run it.

Support, yes eclipse has company support, but no company support for
C#/VB.NET or any other
.NET language, you have to develop the .NET tools from "ground up".

Btw. eclipse is not free, it is open source, but it is not free.

cu