Re: [DotGNU]Re: IDE questions

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: IDE questions
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 09:03:03 -0500

Actually, "Source Navigator" already comes close to this ideal, so certainly it can be done. All that SN really lacks is a cleaner integration with the external make facility and clean selection of make targets in an editable list, the ability to jump to files in the SN editor matching lines make reports as errors (like maketool allows) and a nice project form for setting and saving configure options. I also find it's highlighting to be visually slow and annoying while doing any editing using it, but this is a seperate mechanical issue...

Tomislav Sajdl wrote:

S11001001 wrote:

Mr. Sugar's mention of this was in the context of his complaint about the
development of _any_ special project file, XML or not. His original post

said:

I agree, I put his words in wrong context. He complained about any IDE, and
I tried to propose the way to "minimize damage" of IDEs, which is not the
same. My apology to Mr. Sugar.

I totally agree with him on this point; I would like to see a development
environment that only uses existing files; there seems to be enough

information

in existing build systems to build & coordinate a project, so why not rely

on

those files alone?

It would be nice, but I'm not sure if it is possible in general case. If we
could have standard, such things wouldn't be a problem. But standard should
have to enable emacs style changing of source files that belong to project.
And here we go in circles...

I'll investigate this story a bit deeper and I'll post my findings.

Greetings,
Tomislav