[DotGNU]autotools

From: S11001001
Subject: [DotGNU]autotools
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 20:01:20 -0600

I have been considering methods with which to support autoconf/automake in DG, and here is the model I have come up with:

$ATDIR: an environment variable containing all the possible locations of macro/rules files. There are multiple directories, starting with local and expanding to system. The compiler installer will try each of these until one works. autoconf: provide macros with each compiler. These are installed in $ATDIR/aclocal.ext, where the ext is the extension used for source code files. automake: rewrite to support pluggability of make rules for different primaries. For example, for CSCC, there would be a $ATDIR/PROGRAMS.cs, $ATDIR/SOURCES.cs, etc.

This is just one possibility (and a not-so-good one, at that). I am here just to point out this problem of pluggability, particularly with automake.

--
Anyone who thinks UNIX is intuitive should be forced to write 5000 lines of
code using nothing but vi or emacs.  AAAAACK!