[DotGNU]Storm clouds on the horizon

From: Bill Lance
Subject: [DotGNU]Storm clouds on the horizon
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 05:01:19 -0800 (PST)

Word is bubbling out of Redmond that Microsoft is
working on a peer-2-peer server technology somewhat
similar to the Virtual Remote Server.  They call is
FarSite (nice name).  Since the idea is pure poison to
MS's vison of a MS server centric future, it seems
strange that MS would invest money and resource in
this.  A few careful probes of the beast reveals their
purpose.

MS intends to kill effective p2p technologies with
patents.  Their plan is to develop a portfolio of
related patents, then use them in courts to attack any
p2p developments outside of their control.

Now that we know about it, what do you do to protect
ourselves?  A good, fleshed out 'prior art' reference
library might help.  Any other ideas?

(I find it astonishing the MS can find so many
otherwise intellegent and competent researchers who
are willing to spend their time and energy destroying
the very potential that they claim to love.  We all
know about MS management.  But how on Earth does the
moral and ethical rot spread so deeply into the
ranks!)