Re: [DotGNU]UDDI (was Re: Our blindspot)

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]UDDI (was Re: Our blindspot)
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 20:22:06 -0500

I have thought about this, and certainly when refering to GPL code I think Richard is absolutely correct. However, let's not forget the original goal really was to interpret and understand the FD charter in regards to "non-GPL" code and the question of using this one particular piece of code that happened to be under a BSD license. Understanding how the GPL interacts in general with other free software licenses certainly helps to answer that question.

David

Richard Stallman wrote:

When one speaks of GPL "compatible", I believe this often is meant as something else; software that can be used with or linked with software under the GPL but which is itself under a different and non-conflicting license. Clearly anything that is "convertable" to the GPL is in effect compatible as well, although the reverse need not be true.

The reverse does need to be true.  The reason is, validly combining
the two programs produces a combination you must release under the
GPL.  Thus, making the combination effectively means converting any
parts that have GPL-compatible licenses.