[DotGNU]UDDI (was Re: Our blindspot)

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: [DotGNU]UDDI (was Re: Our blindspot)
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 14:19:22 +0100

John <address@hidden> wrote:

> but we've conveniently ignored another technology in the
> monopolist's centralized "hands" - the webwide services directory
> service. While Auth is the method by which users will be permitted
> access to web services, UDDI is the means by which service providers
> will publish their services and access methods? Sadly, DotGNU has not
> yet developed or even considered an alternative to UDDI (think of UDDI
> as the object registry for the web); he who controls the servers can
> push down solutions on the clients.

Given that the UDDI reference implementation is Free Software,
see http://sourceforge.net/projects/juddi/ , I'm not sure that
we even need an alternative to it.  I'm not sure that UDDI will
take off in the first place (who would want to use it, and
why?), and it if starts getting popular, what prevents us from
using the existing free UDDI implementation to create an
alternive, free-software-only registry?

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member