Re: [DotGNU]Sun likely to join Web services group

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Sun likely to join Web services group
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:44:36 +0100

> Seems Sun is also interesting in joining the
> Webservices interoperability standard group.
>
> http://investor.cnet.com/investor/news/newsitem/0-9900-1028-8729618-0.html?tag=ats
>
> I think all this implies a good probability that the
> corporate players will be forced into open standards
> on webservices.

My impression is that what Microsoft really wants is open
standards for most things (because otherwise the
interoperability problems that "webservices" promise to solve
are not solved) BUT for the key area of _authentication_ (and
possibly other aspects of "security") they will try to sneak in
a closed protocol that relies on some patented algorithm.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com