Re: [DotGNU]What Web Services Are NOT

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]What Web Services Are NOT
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:39:39 +0100

S11001001 <address@hidden> wrote:

> Observing this, and various "Economist" viewpoints that
> webservices are the next generation of flexible, integrated
> business solutions, does DotGNU really need to dabble in
> userland?
>
> I mean, it could also be a great user apps platform,
> network-enabled, but if `webservices' are this B2B and
> internal thing, then perhaps stuff like the free CD-ROMs deal
> have the wrong focus.

Regardless of where webservices are used, they will be used to
put together a system that does something useful.  The users of
this system deserve to get a decent user interface, hence the
plan to create CD-ROMs with a very portable Secure Execution
Environment platform that allows a program which implements this
user interface to be executed locally, on ther user's PC.

Of course, in the case of the "B2B and internal" applications of
webservices, these CD-ROMs don't have to be gratis.

I still think that they'll be available gratis.  If we can't
think of a way (which makes good business sense) to make them
available gratis, more likely than not, someone else will.  It's
free software after all, and there are so many potential B2C
business uses of SEE that when it'll be available, someone will
seize the opportunity to distribute it gratis as part of the
marketing plan for some commercial B2C service.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com