[DotGNU]DotGNU 0.1 CD-ROM Layout - Request for Comments

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]DotGNU 0.1 CD-ROM Layout - Request for Comments
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:13:06 +1000

With DotGNU 0.1 about a month away, it is time to start thinking about the
release process.  We'd like to put out a CD-ROM of all DotGNU source, binary
packages, documentation, examples, and useful third-party free software
libraries that can be used with DotGNU.

The following is a proposed directory structure.  Please comment on this to
suggest improvements:

* Root directory

README.txt

    Basic introduction to DotGNU, a brief CD-ROM layout description,
    and a pointer to index.html.

index.html

    Starting point for browsing the CD-ROM image with a Web browser.
    The DotGNU Web site layout might be a good meme to use here.

COPYING, COPYING.LESSER

    Copies of the GPL and LGPL licenses.

* source directory

pnet/
dgee/

    Sub-directories for each major DotGNU software component,
    containing .tar.gz files.

contrib/

    Source code for third-party components.  e.g. Qt#, Gtk#, ml-pnet, etc.
    Suggestions as to what to include here are welcome.

expanded/

    Expanded versions of the source tarballs, for quick viewing straight
    off the CD-ROM image.  e.g. "expanded/pnet-0.6.0".

* packages directory

deb/
rpm/
windows/
mac/

    Sub-directories for each major package type that we want to support.

* doc directory

cdrom/

    Extra HTML files, images, etc that are referenced from index.html.

pnet/
dgee/

    Documentation for the main components.

contrib/

    Documentation for contributed components.

ecma/

    Copies of the ECMA standards, in PDF form, together with the
    HTML'ized version of the ECMA class library documentation.
    This will also include All.xml, which the user can convert into
    any other format that they wish.

* samples directory

    Collection of DotGNU samples and other bits and pieces that don't
    necessarily fall into the core feature set (e.g. PNetMark, Mahjongg).

Most of the above should be pretty straight-forward.  The biggest effort will
be in writing the content for "index.html" and "doc/cdrom/", which acts as
the main index to the CD-ROM.

There will probably also need to be README files in each major sub-directory,
providing pointers for people who manually browse the CD-ROM with ye olde
"ls".

While it is possible to provide the content in a zillion different formats
(HTML, plain text, Doxygen, texinfo, etc), I think that we should support the
most common, and provide the source content (e.g. All.xml) so that the user
can create their own in any other format they wish.

Suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Rhys.