Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU 0.1 CD-ROM Layout - Request for Comments

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DotGNU 0.1 CD-ROM Layout - Request for Comments
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:44:43 +0100

On Monday 08 September 2003 07:13, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> The following is a proposed directory structure.  Please comment on this to
> suggest improvements:

Looks good.

> * packages directory
>
> deb/
> rpm/
> windows/
> mac/

Do you want to sub-divide these on software component?  pnet, dgee etc

How about a 'run from CD' installation of pnet and dgee (as far as possible)?
We could do the install under /usr/local/dotgnu and have this on the CD.
To use this the 'user' would need to symlink /usr/local/dotgnu to
/mnt/cdrom/usr/local/dotgnu/<architecture> or similar.

I appreciate this idea may be a little over the top, and of course we'd have
to decide whether to put all supported OS's on the disc or just the main
ones?
/usr/local/dotgnu/linux-i386
/usr/local/dotgnu/freebsd-i386
/usr/local/dotgnu/....

or something, but anything cscc compiled is cross platform anyway :o) so
duplication is relatively low.

There would of course be a couple of sysadmin things for the user to do to get
the 'run for cd' working, (paths, ldconfig, a bit of apache etc) - but I
think this may offer a lightweight approach to encourage interest.
The learning curve for the 'installer' is paractically zero to get going.

In fact, if someone is downloading the iso-image, then they can mount it using
the loopback device, do the symlink etc and they're off.

Chris