Re: [DotGNU]__gc arrays

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]__gc arrays
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:12:20 +1000

On Wednesday 21 April 2004 09:44 am, Alex Stephens wrote:
> Thanks Rhys. I'm aware that cscc is a C compiler but I don't see why this
> should prevent managed arrays. In fact, I can get a managed array in cscc
> using: __box int array[]=new __box int[10];
> but then it won't work with normal subscripting i.e. array[0]=0; gives
> "subscripted value is neither array nor pointer" error.

That's probably a bug.  Please log it in Savannah so we don't forget about it.
Or better yet, have a look at the cscc code and try to fix it yourself and
submit a patch.  We definitely need more people working on the C compiler.

> If this
> functionality is not already implemented, I think it would make a very
> useful contribution to pnet (no buffer overflows or memory leaks in C
> code).

Since it requires the programmer to take explicit action to use, I have never
really understood how it helps prevent sloppy programming.

Cheers,

Rhys.