duplicity-talk

Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restore the first non-0 sized item?

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restore the first non-0 sized item?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2021 12:06:58 +0200

On 30.03.2021 09:45, Jeffrey Walton via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> We use duplicity for a backup of a VM. The VM hosted a website and
> wiki. The wiki is powered by MySQL. We backed up the wiki database
> using mysqldump, and then Duplicity included the dump in the backup
> set. The backup was stored off-site.
>
> Something went sideways with the VM service provider and we lost the
> service. We got a new service. I'm in the process of a restore using
> Duplicity. The backups are fine. Almost everything is fine except...
>
> The SQL dump with the wiki database is 0-size. Ugh. I don't know when
> it happened. I suspect it happened when we enabled Software
> Collections (SCL) on a CentOS, which was about 5 years ago.
>
> I need to find the first non-0 size SQL dump. The SQL dump is located
> at /backup/wiki.sql.
>
> How do I tell Duplicity to find the first non-0 sized item and restore
> it? Is it even possible?

hey Jeffrey,

currently it's only possible to list the backup contents (files/folders) _but
no metadata_ at a specific time in the backup. so the answer is no and you will
have to restore the file until you find a version that is not zero sized.

you could limit the restoration to the sql dump file though and loop over the
restoration process via shell scripting giving a degrading timestamp until you
find a non-zero-sized version! ..good luck ede/duply.net