duplicity-talk

Re: [Duplicity-talk] reduce size of cache

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] reduce size of cache
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 09:53:23 -0500

Watch out for long incremental chains.  See this FAQ.

...Ken

On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 12:20 AM hamish-duplicity--- via Duplicity-talk <duplicity-talk@nongnu.org> wrote:
On 28/7/22 20:08, edgar.soldin--- via Duplicity-talk wrote:
> On 28.07.2022 10:48, Hamish Moffatt via Duplicity-talk wrote:
>> I have full and incremental backups of a large amount of data going
>> back 4 years, for which the duplicity cache is consuming 139Gb(!) on
>> one machine alone.
>>
>> Is there a current and supported way to remove old signatures from
>> the cache such that they can be restored in the future if required? I
>> don't mind how manual this process is.
>>
>> I realize this has been asked in the past and the previous reluctant
>> recommendation was to use cleanup --extra-clean, but that option was
>> removed in 2020.
>>
>> If so, what is the process for removing the old signatures, and what
>> is the process for getting them back from remote if required?
>
> hey Hamish,
>
> as `--extra-clean` tended to break backups it was no safe option.
>
> if you don't mind manual intervention i'd suggest changing the
> target(-folder) by interval, say every year or so. regular full
> backups are recommended anyway to minimize chain corruption, so that
> seems like a feasible workaround.
>
> after switching the target you can delete the previous archive-dir, as
> it is only needed for incrementals or restore and will be recreated if
> needed. using option `-name` might ease to find the correct
> archive-dir per target(-folder).

Thanks Ede and Ken for your replies,

I've changed my target path on the remote and my name/archive-name in
the configuration as suggested, and will do this annually. I use duply,
so I started a new profile (as duply sets archive-dir and name itself
for duplicity).

Restores are very rare (as we have more accessible backups using
filesystem snapshots), so I don't mind that they are less convenient.

Hamish