dvdrtools-users

Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: DVD+RW -- bigotry in web sites ...

From: Bryan J. Smith
Subject: Re: [Dvdrtools-users] Re: DVD+RW -- bigotry in web sites ...
Date: 11 Aug 2002 13:47:07 -0400

On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 12:58, Julián Muñoz wrote:
> But what is sure is that from the end user point of view and for its
> benefit, the more devices and standards are supported by Linux, the
> better, and for this it is good that all the Linux developpers work in a
> coherent and "synergic" way.

Which is my DVD-RAM rocks.  As a long-term archiving standard, it was
supported in Linux nearly from the "get-go" -- largely because Panasonic
got its previous generation PD drives working in Linux back in 1995.  I
know, I had a DVD-RAM drive working in Linux in 1998.  It was and still
is great for long-term archive storage -- something corporations care
about (and why they were using proprietary optical standards before
DVD-RAM came out).

Now we turn to "consumer" optical storage.  Sony/Philips have always
been a "take but don't give" DVD consortium partner.  So
Matshusita/Panasonic and, largely, Pioneer have been pretty much the
"givers" in that group.  Much of the DVD+RW design comes from a lot of
the existing DVD-RAM design before they "broke."

As far as recordable, 1st gen Sony/Philips DVD+RW drives don't do
anything.  And despite their promises to support the ubiquitous DVD-R
standard, they ended up not doing so with 2nd DVD+RW.  And I've seen
Pioneer consumer drives that read DVD+RW, but rarely have I seen a
Sony/Philips read DVD-RW disks.  So you shouldn't be pointing too many
fingers at Toshiba without doing the same with Sony/Philips.

You have to give Panasonic, and its DVD-RAM partners like Toshiba,
credit for not creating another recordable standard.  They added
DVD-R(G) support to their 3rd gen DVD-RAM drives.  I hope someone can
give me the "straight dope" on if they will record to DVD-R(G) like
Pioneer DVD-R and DVD-RW drives with the dvdrtools, but I'll assume not
for now.

The second someone does is the day I cough up the $230 to get a 3rd gen
DVD-RAM drive.  I want to be able to rewrite my existing archives as
well as write new DVD-R(G) disks that can be used in virtually any
drive.

-- Bryan

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.  address@hidden   http://www.TheBS.org
"#3 UCF -- 'Five Best Non-BCS Teams,' College Football News ...